Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Wyoming - Grand Teton National Park, Jackson












Leaving Yellowstone heading to Grand Teton National Park, we crossed the Continental Divide – for the first time this trip.    The John D. Rockefeller Jr. National Parkway commemorates the many contributions made by Rockefeller on behalf of the National Park System and connects the two national parks.   Grand Teton NP is much smaller than Yellowstone and because it seems to be primarily a “drive-thru” park for most visitors, was much quieter than Yellowstone.   The Grand Teton mountain range is unusual in that there are no foothills – the majestic and rugged mountains seem to rise abruptly from the Jackson Hole valley.  
 



We camped at the Gros Ventre campground on the south side of the park.  Again, no hookups so we were into our third straight week of dry camping.   It was only 12 miles from the town of Jackson, convenient for shopping and laundry.   




 
I did an eight mile hike around Jenny Lake.  It was rated as a moderate hike, with beautiful views of the mountains, lake, and waterfalls.  It is the longest solo hike I have done and I didn’t have any problems other than the large black bear that I ran into – twice!  About six miles into the hike,  I rounded a corner and there he was about 30 feet away, just off the trail.  I stopped immediately and he lifted his head and looked at me.  I backed away carefully, pulling my bear spray out of the holster on the front of my backpack.  I removed the safety guard and fortunately, never had to use the spray.  But I was ready!  I banged on the rocks with my walking pole and yelled at the bear to ‘go away’.  After about ten minutes, I very cautiously walked slowly around the curve – no bear in sight.  However, as I continued down the path, I heard a noise.  Turning around, there was the bear, about 40 feet behind and to the right of the path.   I just kept going, moving a little faster this time.  The bear never charged or threatened me; he was too busy eating.   But he certainly made my heart rate go up!  Don asked if I got his picture.  My response:  no way – I was reaching for the bear spray, not the camera!  First time ever the trigger guard on the spray was taken off.


No comments:

Post a Comment