Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pennsylvania



Leaving New York on September 12th, we headed to Leonard Harrison State Park, home of the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania.  As I am planning to hike to Grand Canyon in Arizona next October, I figured hiking the Grand Canyon of PA was a good way to start my quest to get in better physical condition.  The state park campsites were very nice – level, shaded, with 50 amp power, $22.50/night with our senior discount.  Once we set up camp, we could walk to the visitor center and to the trail heads.   
 
            Once we set up, I walked up to the overlook and hiked the .6 Overlook Trail – a nice walk through the woods to Otter View, a vista of the canyon looking south.  The next morning, Don left to play golf – on his quest to play in all fifty states.  (Although we have visited PA several times, he never played golf here.)  I decided to hike the Turkey Path Trail to the bottom of the canyon, one mile down and one mile back up.  A nine hundred (900) elevation change!   Although a fairly short hike, I carried my Camelback pack filled with water, lunch, jacket, and even threw in a book to add a little weight, total about 12 pounds.  I also took both trek poles, trying to get used to using two.  I usually hike with one but I know I will want two for Arizona.  It was a beautiful hike, with a couple nice little waterfalls, a couple observation decks, and several sections with steep steps and handrails.  I took my time going down, making frequent stops to take photos and just to listen to the forest.  A beautiful hike.

            At the bottom, I hiked about a mile upstream along Pine Creek Gorge.  It is a very level and paved multi-use trail, stretching 62 miles through the Allegany Mountains.  I ate lunch along the creek before heading back up the trail.  Although I can hike all day on level ground, I am very slow going uphill.  I really need to improve my lung capacity and my leg strength.  It took me 61 minutes to make the climb, which I didn’t think was too bad considering I had gotten very lazy over the summer.  I definitely need to walk more before next October.  But all-in-all, I really enjoyed the hike.  

            The next day we headed south.  It was a beautiful drive, winding along clear streams through the mountains of central PA.  We had a small problem with the coach, losing power rapidly on uphill portions of the road.  I contacted Caterpillar service and they directed me to a Cat dealer in Duncansville, PA – which was our destination anyway.  So four hours later and $235 poorer after replacing the fuel filters, we settled in to another campground.  (The fuel filters were only $35; $200 for diagnostics!  We already know that owning an older motorhome is not cheap.) 

            The next morning we visited the Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site.  This site preserves a very small portion of American history, before the advent of large steam locomotives.  In order to compete with the Erie Canal in NY and the C&O Canal in Maryland, in 1831, Pennsylvania built a canal from Philadelphia to Pittsburg.  However, there was no way do dig their way through a Allegheny Mountains.  Instead, they devised a portage system to load the canal boats on rail cars and pull them up over the mountains and down the other side – 276 miles of canal and 82 miles of railroad track!   This reduced the travel time from Philadelphia to Pittsburg from 23 days to 4 days.    It was a very interesting display of a period of time that we had never heard of.





            Now on to Ohio!

No comments:

Post a Comment